Sawmills Yard-of-the-Month Program
The goal for the Yard of the Month program is to award and recognize the efforts of Sawmills residents who take pride in their home and landscape and inspire others to do the same.
1. The Committee will select two homes each month, one from the 28630 and 28638 zip codes in Sawmills.
2. The Committee will judge only the portion of the yard viewed from the street.
3. The Yard of the Month program will start in April and end in December.
4. The Committee will place a Yard of the Month sign in each winning yard for a month.
5. Each resident may nominate any yard and landscape within the town including their own.
6. Each yard may only win the Yard of the Month award once in a calendar year.
Please contact Julie Good by phone, mail, or e-mail at the Sawmills Town Hall with any questions, concerns, comments, or nominations you may have for the Town of Sawmills Beautification Committee.
Mail to the:
Town of Sawmills
Yard of the Month program
4076 US Highway 321-A
Sawmills, NC 28630
Phone: (828) 396-7903
Winning Yard of the Month:
The judges will use the following criteria when choosing a Yard of the Month. These are only guidelines and the committee will make a final decision based on the evidence that shows the homeowner’s pride in his or her yard.
• Yard is well-groomed
• Yard is attractive; pleasing to the eye (e.g. green lawn; a variety of plants such as trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, wildflowers; plants with a variety of heights, textures, and colors; landscape features such as fountains, large rocks in beds, etc.)
• Buildings, fences, porches, and patios on the property are in good repair (i.e. minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction)
• Extra consideration may be given to properties that have invested extra effort through the use of attractive art pieces (e.g. pottery, ironwork), potted plants, birdhouses, patio or lawn furniture, windsocks, decorative mailboxes, etc
• Yard is free of litter, junk and debris (no appliances or indoor furniture on porches or patios)
• Yard is free of inoperable or junked motor vehicles
• House numbers are displayed attractively
• Does a passerby sense that the homeowner has pride in his or her landscape and property
Winners will receive:
A specially designed "Yard of the Month" sign placed in the winning front yard for one month, a certificate of recognition to the homeowner signed by the Mayor and given at a Council meeting.